Saturday 14 September 2013

Playing catch-up

I have fallen waaay behind with my penny sampler quilt blocks. The first four weeks were appliqué, which is slow and frustrates me as my curves weren't turning out smooth. I tried the two methods that we were taught, hoping I'd improve after my Dogwood cushion, but gave up and went back to needle turn. It may be slower, but at least I'm happier with the results. 

The first blocks I did were the heart blocks - super cute blocks with fabrics that I've had for years. One heart made from crimson velvet saved from the cutest dress my daughters wore when they were toddlers and three hearts made from sheets I bought from Oxfam and tie-dyed to make curtains for my very first home. 


Next came the sunflower block. There should be two, but so far I've only made one. This was where I went back to needle-turn. Much better edges. Happy me. 



 Only another six appliqué blocks to catch up on now ~sigh~

One day I'll be organised and stuff. 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a needle turner too but was determined to stick with sketch stitching. One thing I tried to get smoother edges, that seemed to help, was cutting out the templates onto Mylar template plastic. Its the kind you can iron and it won't melt. Using freezer paper or cardboard just wasn't holding up well enough when we were getting it wet with starch then ironing. Just in case you want to give it another go. :) Your blocks are looking lovely, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit to cheating a little. I needle turned the leaves with scrap thread then sketch stitched them and took the hand stitching out. I'll definitely try the plastic idea thought. Thank you :)

      Delete

I love hearing from people so go on, leave me a message, you know you want to really