Sunday 25 August 2013

Dogwood Blossom Cushion

I have tried appliqué for the first time. Was it a success? Hmmm... not quite sure about that. I used the sew & turn method, from the Dogwood tutorial. I'm going to need a whole lot more practice before I'm happy with it. At the moment my curves are decidedly non-smooth and there are irritating bits of backing showing on the edges of my petals. 

I do, however, ADORE the sketch stitch thingies round the edges of the petals.


I used some totally yummy variegated purple thread* that the Goth Girl gave me (her: "Take it, Mum - I'll never use it" me: "Are you sure, love?" as it slips deep into my pocket and gets buried before any hint of daughterly mind-changing). It's thick and silky and the most delicious colours. It took a concerted effort to not sew over the same line each time round the petals, but once I let go of my Nan's voice in my head telling me that consistency was everything it was great fun. 


I think Bear likes it, even if I'm not sure. (Shhhh...  he's not noticed that I haven't put the binding on yet)

*Gutermann Sulky CA 02776 for anyone that's seriously into thread. Even if you're not, Go Buy Some! It's delicious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people so go on, leave me a message, you know you want to really