Sunday 11 August 2013

First finish

I finished my first quilt yesterday.


It's far from perfect, but I am still proud of it. I loved making it, from beginning to end. I had a huge growl of frustration when I cut the binding - I was all excited because the quilt was almost finished then suddenly I was standing ironing almost 10 yards of material and wondering if I'd ever get done. As it turned out, hand-stitching the back was possibly the most therapeutic part of the whole quilt-making process. 

Other than getting the finished quilt out of the tumble-drier and snuggling it, of course. 


It's now wrapped around its new owner. He put it straight on his bed - seeing him snuggled down wrapped in soft, quilty  goodness did make me smile. 
I've affectionately named this quilt the 'So Fluffy' quilt, partly because of the deliciously soft and fluffy vintage chenille squares from Alora's Adorables, and partly because it's one of The Barista's trademark sayings. The squares are boxed by Kona solids in pinks and greens, but please don't ask me which ones because I bought them from a real shop, not online. The background is Kona Snow and the binding & backing are Honeycomb by Kei fabrics, padded out with a patchy stripe of the Kona solids to make the backing large enough. There might by an little elephant hiding on the back too


I'm linking through to Lily's quilts too, so if you've hopped over from there, Hi! Pleased to meet you!



 

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Very cute quilt but I might go and steal your kitten despite my allergy! Gingers are my absolute faves. D'awww it looks so comfy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completing your first quilt. It is an amazing achievement. Well done !!! Stopping by from Amy's Crafty Shenanigans Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by from TGIFF - you first quilt is wonderful, I love the elephant on the back and your label. What a great 21st gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your first quilt! Sounds like you were super fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done - what a lovely quilt! Hand stitching the binding on is my favourite part of the quilting process :) Thank you for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people so go on, leave me a message, you know you want to really